When you take into consideration how frequently you’re driving the youngsters to school, transporting the household to sporting events, or commuting near and far in your automobile with your children, you can see why so much importance is placed on having your kids ride in a safety seat. Parents often struggle when first buying a new child seat. There are many options available and every parent has their own budgetary restrictions, but this is an extremely important step to ensure the protection of your children as they ride in the back seat. It is not just a necessity, but it is the law.
Safety seats, if utilized properly, can significantly minimize the likelihood of injury or fatality for kids in auto accidents. Nevertheless, more than half of the car seats tend to be misused in a manner that could lessen their efficiency. And one out of three kids killed in car collisions were totally unrestrained during the time of the accident.
While most parents spend a sufficient amount of time researching and reviewing convertible car seat ratings to find the perfect match for their family, they don’t spend that much time with the user manual learning how to use it. Installing a child seat improperly is almost as bad as not using one at all.
Tips To Keep Your Child Safe
Take a look at these 11 car seat safety tips to ensure that your children are safe and secure.
1. Setting up a car seat properly and using it appropriately isn’t as simple as it appears. The majority get it wrong. Find the local licensed car seat inspection service providers for assistance and make certain your little one is riding safely.
2. Make a note of the safety seat expiry date. It is least complicated to write it using a blank label or a piece of masking tape and put it where it is noticeable on the seat itself. After that swap the seat as soon as it has expired.
3. Avoid using an impaired car seat. This will include cracks, missing parts, car seats which have been in mishaps, distressed harness straps, and over washed seats (strong soaps might damage the materials of the car seat, potentially decreasing its functionality under the pressure of a crash).
4. Don’t accept any used seat as a present or even purchase one in case (a) it’s distressed or damaged by any means; (b) it’s expired; (c) it isn’t licensed to be used in your location.
5. Be cautious about facing your kid’s seat forward too soon. Youngsters are nearly 5 times safer in a rear-facing seat which supports their weight up to age four. You might be wary of “squished legs”, however, it is absolutely safe. Children prefer to extend them, fold them, and also dangle them.
6. Never ever undervalue the necessity of your youngster’s harness straps. Always keep them straight as well as tight all the time (if you’re able to pinch an inch in between your fingers, they’re excessively loose)!
7. Make certain that everybody who drives your little one is well equipped with the appropriate safety seat and also understands how to use it, irrespective of how short the trip is. It is suggested to have an extra seat for these occasions, and it is good for visiting family or giving your child’s buddies a ride when needed. No kid must ever ride unprotected. It is unlawful and extremely dangerous.
8. Make sure to adjust the harness straps while your kid matures. For the rear-facing car seats, the straps must be at or slightly below the shoulders; and for the forward-facing car seats, they ought to be at or slightly above the shoulders.
9. No matter how short the ride is, do not hold a kid in your lap while out on the road. It might sound like practical but it is not worth the risk. If you must remove your child from their seat make sure the vehicle is parked and stationary out of the way of traffic.
10. In spite of pressure from the children wishing to ride up front, keep kids below 13 years in the rear seat where they’re much safer and farther away from the active airbags.
11. Once you are expecting and you are planning your baby’s arrival, have the car seat set up as well as examined prior to the due date. Not only do you wish your infant’s first ride to be safe, some hospitals also might not discharge newborn babies till their car seats are set up properly.
Awareness Is Key
It may seem like a lot to take in, but with a little planning and precaution, we can reduce the risk of injury of our children while they are riding safely in the back seat. Our goal should be to avoid the common child seat mistakes that parents make that may put your kids in greater danger. There are plenty of high quality infant, booster, and convertible car seats available, the trick is to make sure that we install them and use them as they were designed. The owner’s manual is going to be an important piece of reading material early on. Fortunately, a lot of the car seat manufacturers also have very informative videos that illustrate the proper use of their child seats to give you a better grasp on what you should be doing.